Thursday, June 10, 2010

Zig or Zag

     When I start to work on a design I always have a concept in mind.  It always amazes me at the end of the project how my original idea has evolved during the process.  You might say - I zagged instead of zigged!  I've heard designers exclaim that their design took over and spoke to them.  I wouldn't go there myself, but there must be something to that phrase.  So it is refreshing when on that rare occasion a design ends up just the way I planned it.  For our latest kid's pattern, that's exactly what happened.  Maybe it is fitting to call this pattern Ziggity-Zag Skirt and Top, because I definitely didn't zag when I should have zigged!  I thought you might enjoy some of the pictures we took at the park in April trying to get just the right shot of our little models wearing our new design.


A hooded merganser...


Having some fun posing on a tree branch...


A cute shot, but too much sun in her face...


This is the shot we picked out for our size 3, 4, and 5  'Ziggity-Zag Skirt and Top'.  We used a fun rick-rack stripe for the skirt with a coordinating print for the top by Moda fabrics from the line called 'Whimsy' by Joanna Figueroa.  I love the untraditional stripe for the skirt which is made with 8 panels that zig and zag by cutting them at an angle with the stripe.  It is paired with the top that is so feminine looking with a ruffled front band and slightly puffed sleeves. 


A beautiful shot of big sister wearing the size 6, 7, and 8 version which uses a more traditional stripe for the skirt and a coordinating print from the fabric line designed by Heather Bailey for Free Spirit Fabrics called 'Nicey Jane'.


We loved this shot too.


I hope you enjoyed the behind the scenes look into our decision process for our pattern fronts.

Later,

Susan 

No comments: